The Importance of Good Indoor Air Quality
When you hire a Glens Falls HVAC contractor for a regular heating and air conditioning tune-up, discuss the indoor air quality services that the company offers. Indoor air quality describes the impact that air quality has on people residing in buildings. Indoor air is generally more polluted than outdoor air, and polluted indoor air can produce both immediate and long-term health complications. Many researchers recommend purchasing an air purification device from your HVAC contractor.
Air Pollutants That Affect Your Health
- Combustion Pollutants – Nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide are odorless and colorless gases that form from burning materials and fuel-burning appliances, such as wood and gas stoves, dryers, fireplaces, space heaters, and water heaters. Nitrogen dioxide is known to cause shortness of breath, respiratory infections, and eye, nose, and throat irritation. Carbon monoxide causes dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and headaches, and prolonged exposure to it can be fatal.
- Smoke – Secondhand smoke can seriously harm the health of people who breathe it, and it has been linked to severe asthma symptoms, sudden infant death syndrome, and ear infections in children.
- Mold – When excess moisture collects in a home, the perfect environment is created for mold growth. Although it is impossible to completely eliminate mold spores from homes, homeowners should aim to repair damage that has caused excess moisture and mold growth.
- Airborne Particulates – The particles worn off of building materials, products, and furnishings become floating dust and dirt that can provoke allergies and respiratory complications.
Harmful Health Effects of Air Pollutants
- Eyes, nose, and throat irritation
- Fatigue, headaches, and dizziness
- Asthma symptoms
- Cold symptoms
- Respiratory diseases
- Heart disease
Advantages of Cleaner Air
- Decreased Allergies – Allergens in the air can produce coughing, congestion, eye irritation, and sneezing. Common indoor allergens include dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, pollen, and dust. Having your HVAC contractor install an air purification device can greatly decrease the amount of allergens in your home.
- Easy Breathing – High concentrations of air pollutants hinder the human body’s ability to receive oxygen, so improved air quality decreases stress on the lungs and heart.
- Better Sleep – Sleep cycles can become interrupted by a decreased oxygen level and increased concentration of volatile organic compounds in the air you’re breathing as you sleep. Clean indoor air can help prevent sleep-related breathing complications like sleep apnea.
In addition to its health benefits, clean indoor air can decrease the stress on your heating and cooling systems and offer energy savings while prolonging the life spans of your HVAC units. Air pollutants affect everyone differently, and factors such as age and the presence of existing medical conditions often determine how severely polluted air can impact someone’s health. Research indicates that cleaner air is better for everyone, so hiring a trusted Glens Falls HVAC contractor PGR Mechanical to install an air cleaner, HEPA filter, or air filtration system will benefit your household immensely.